Friday, June 8, 2007

Clean Bill of Health to Travel

I had my follow up visit with my surgeon today. It has been 5 weeks since my surgery and I am feeling really good. He gave me the all clear for travel - so we are relieved and very excited.

I can't say enough good things about the Cleveland Clinic Florida. They have taken such good care of me during me visits there. When you are stuck in the hospital, scared & in pain, the extra love and caring their staff gives makes all the difference in the world; and of course, their medical team and doctors are second to none.

Well, along with the good news came some not unexpected bad news. One of the reasons for the visit was to discuss the possibility of having the surgery to correct the complications from the surgery in 2004 when my colon was removed. And my doctor told us that there is very little chance of a new surgery to repair my internal pouch being successful. With all the scar tissue from previous surgeries and the short size of the intestines I have left, there are too many obstacles; not to mention that it is a very long a painful surgery and recovery just on a chance that it might work. So I have a year before I can have any surgery anyways, so I will have to learn to live with this illeostomy probably for the rest of my life. But, as I said, it was not unexpected news and Myke and I were prepared for it. Myke & I have discussed it and agreed that we can both deal with it. The thing that makes it easiest for me is the fact that I have been feeling great. Much better than I have in the last 12 or 13 years, so that makes it easier to swallow. I have always said that feeling good and being healthy are most important.

So, that's the health update. I will be cleaning out my closet soon. I have a lot of really nice clothes that I have hardly worn - and a couple of dresses that I haven't ever worn. I won't be able to now, so I will be giving them away. As always, I find a bright side, and that is shopping for some new clothes!! : )

No comments: