Thursday, March 18, 2010

Insurance Problems with Aetna - an update

Since the latest problem with Aetna not covering our occupational therapy popped up last Wednesday, I posted about it then, and here's what's happened since.

On Wednesday when I got so upset about having yet another problem with Aetna, I really lost it. I was very upset and luckily, I was with Myke that day, because he really helped me through it. We discussed things and decided to stop all therapies temporarily until we get the insurance issues straightened out and hopefully get Medicaid in place.

At first I did not want to do this because I believe that Chianna needs this therapy at all costs, but at this time, the cost of my sanity is too great. Don't worry Aetna is not winning anything, instead I will just continue to blog and let everyone know how horribly me and my family are being treated by this "health insurance" company. That title for Aetna is completely laughable at this point because they certainly don't care about or promote our health and they obviously don't stand behind or insure anything other than a giant headache.

My dad stepped forward and offered to pay for one speech therapy session per week until we get the insurance situation fixed. Thanks, Dad!!! We feel that at least for physical therapy we can take her to the park and play and the weather is warming so we can take her swimming soon too. Its not the same as guided physical therapy with the licensed professional therapist, but its better than nothing and its only a temporary pause. I am hoping to pick back up the occupational therapy as soon as this issue is resolved and I am pretty confident that Aetna will be covering it based on their explanation of benefits and the occupational therapy bulletin they have written on my policy & expect that Aetna will rectify this by extending the 60 day period for their mistake.

Not having therapy for the past week and 1/2 has actually relieved a huge weight off my shoulders, so as long as it is a temporary pause, I think it was actually a better thing to do.

I'm not going away, I'm not going to shut up until this situation is cleared up. I hope that encourages Aetna to do the right thing, fix my account problems and as soon as they do, I will report that too.

If you are reading this for the first time, this is only a piece of the puzzle and the drama that we have been put through. You can see details on this whole insurance debacle with Aetna on my blog: http://bit.ly/Chianna and if you would like to help, feel free to link to the blog and share my story with anyone and everyone who will listen. I am not just doing this for me and my family, I am doing this for all the families who have been wronged by Aetna and other insurance companies who make it their policy to deny claims in hopes you will not notice, make it hard enough to fix problems that they hope you will give up, and state incorrect things over the phone just to get you to shut up and hang up and then they do not stand behind what was said.

No comments: